Podcast episode about the huge and successful strikes by miners in Britain in 1972 and 1974, in conversation with Dave Douglass.
Our podcast is brought to you by our patreon supporters. Our supporters fund our work, and in return get exclusive early access to podcast episodes, ad-free episodes, bonus episodes, free and discounted merchandise and other content. Join us or find out more at patreon.com/workingclasshistory
You can listen to our podcast on the below links, or on any major podcast app. Links to a few below.
Continuing our intermittent series of podcast episodes about the great strike of UK miners from 1984-5, we tell the story of what came beforehand. In this episode, we look at the historical background, and learn about the national wildcat strike in 1969, as well as the nationwide official strikes of 1972 and 1974, which both defeated the Conservative government and eventually brought it down.
- E81: Miners strikes 1972-4 – Available now for early listening for our patreon supporters
- E81.1: Bonus episode with more about Dave’s revolutionary politics, day-to-day work in the mines, and discussion of popular images of the 1970s in the UK today – Coming soon for our patreon supporters
- Timeline of Stories about the 1972 miners’ strike
- Timeline of Stories about the 1974 miners’ strike
- Archive of writings by and about Dave Douglass
- Taylor F. 2015. Pit Closures. Healey Hero.co.uk. [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. http://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/individual/Bob_Bradley/PM-Closures.html.
- Tory spin on coal masks fact that 80 per cent of coal jobs were lost under Thatcher. 2013 Apr 19. Left Foot Forward: Leading the UK’s progressive debate. [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://leftfootforward.org/2013/04/tory-spin-on-coal-masks-fact-that-80-per-cent-of-coal-jobs-were-lost-under-thatcher/.
- 2021 Dec 22. Nationalisation of coal. The National Archives. doi:https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/. [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/attlees-britain/nationalisation-coal/.
- Joseph Kay, Charting the class struggle. 2013. Libcom.org. [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://libcom.org/article/charting-class-struggle.
- Post-War Squatting Wave. Working Class History. 2023. [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://stories.workingclasshistory.com/article/8350/post-war-squatting-wave.
- The tradition of workers’ control – Geoffrey Ostergaard. (Freedom Press, 1997). [accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://libcom.org/article/tradition-workers-control-geoffrey-ostergaard.
- Routledge, Paul, Scargill: The Unauthorized Biography (London: HarperCollins, 1994)
- Phillips, J. (2006) The 1972 miners’ strike: popular agency and industrial politics in Britain. Contemporary British History, 20 (2), 187-207, accessed July 24, 2023, https://libcom.org/article/1972-miners-strike-popular-agency-and-industrial-politics-britain.
- Working Class History. 2023. Freddie Matthews killed. [accessed 2023 Jul 24]. https://stories.workingclasshistory.com/article/10177/freddie-matthews-killed.
- Amos, David. “The Nottinghamshire miners, the Union of Democratic Mineworkers and the 1984–85 miners strike: scabs or scapegoats?”, University of Nottingham, 2011, accessed July 10, 2023, http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/14091/1/575419.pdf.
- Coal strike men to meet TUC chief October 1969. Rotherham.co.uk [archived every 14th 2017, accessed 2023 Jul 10]. https://web.archive.org/web/20170214201151/http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/h/extracts/oct1969.htm.
- Kellaway, Robert (2010). Re-examining the Battle of Saltley Gate: interpretations of leadership, violence and legacy (dissertation). University of Bristol: Department of Historical Studies. Accessed July 13, 2023, http://www.bristol.ac.uk/history/media/docs/ug-dissertations/2010kellaway.pdf.
- So Near – So Far – a selective history of the British miners, Chapter 05: The 1972 Miners Strike. 2023. Libcom.org. [accessed 2023 Jul 13]. https://libcom.org/library/chapter-05-1972-miners-strike.
- Harold Johnson. 1972 Feb 16. Blackouts will total nine hours daily. the Guardian. [accessed 2023 Jul 13]. https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1972/feb/16/fromthearchive.
- 1972 and 1974 Miners’ Strikes. Coalfield Web Materials. [accessed 2023 Jul 13]. http://www.agor.org.uk/cwm/themes/events/1972_1974_strikes.asp.
- End of the UK miners strike, Working Class History. 2023. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://stories.workingclasshistory.com/article/9088/end-of-the-uk-miner’s-strike.
- BBC ON THIS DAY | 25 | 1972: Miners call off crippling coal strike. 2023. BBC. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/25/newsid_2516000/2516687.stm.
- Jim Phillips, The 1972 miners’ strike: popular agency and industrial politics in Britain. 2017. libcomorg. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://libcom.org/article/1972-miners-strike-popular-agency-and-industrial-politics-britain.
- Inflation Rate in 1972 | UK Inflation Calculator. 2023. In2013dollarscom. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://www.in2013dollars.com/UK-inflation-rate-in-1972.
- Miners overtime ban begins, Working Class History. 2023. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://stories.workingclasshistory.com/article/11213/miners-overtime-ban-begins.
- The National Archives. 2023. The Cabinet Papers | Global oil shortage. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/themes/global-oil-shortage.htm.
- The National Archives. 2023. The Cabinet Papers | The Miners Strike and the Social Contract. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/themes/miners-strike-social-contract.htm.
- UK three-day week, Working Class History. 2023. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://stories.workingclasshistory.com/article/8072/uk-three-day-week.
- The General Election, February 1974. 2022 Feb 22. Gresham College. [accessed 2023 Jul 14]. https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch-now/general-election-february-1974.
- Thanks to our patreon supporters for making this podcast possible. Special thanks to Jazz Hands, Jamison D. Saltsman and Fernando López Ojeda.
- Episode graphic: © NLA/reportdigital.co.uk.
- Edited by Louise Barry
- Theme tune courtesy of the Easington Colliery Brass Band.
Listen and subscribe to WCH in the following ways: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Anchor | Castbox | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Pandora | Pocket Casts | Podbean | Radio Public | RSS | TuneIn